Moving is a great time to organize and clean up the clutter from around your home. It is easy to take everything you own and shove it in a box, but it can be extremely beneficial to sort out what you do and don’t need before the big move. Here are five tips for paring down your stuff before moving.
- 1.) Organize by room – Many of us have our belongings throughout our home and not altogether in one place. Take the time to box and arrange everything room to room. If you have dinner plates in the dining room and some in the kitchen, put them all together and decide what you want to keep. The same can apply to clothing, books, bathroom essentials and more. Instead of focusing on what you are getting rid of, focus on what you will be keeping.
- Sort out everything – Take the time to look at each item you have in your home and decide if you want to keep it or not. If you are sorting through a closet, it can be easy to flip through each shirt on the hanger and end up storing it. Instead, take the time to look at each item on its own and decide if it’s something important to you.
- Find the happiness – Many of us tend to store things that we don’t need. It can happen with old books, an old pair of jeans and even kitchenware. If it’s something that brings you joy, then you should keep it. However, if you are on the fence about it, it’s best to discard it at that time.
- Donate – There are plenty of people who would be grateful to have those shoes you don’t love anymore, the book you already read, or even the kitchenware you stopped using months ago. You aren’t only helping yourself by getting rid of the clutter, but you will bring happiness to someone else when you donate.
- Give to family and friends – If you know of a friend or family member who loves to read, pass along your old books to them. The same can apply to almost anything in your home that you know a close friend or family member would enjoy having.
Moving can be stressful, especially when it comes to packing. Keep yourself organized and let go of those things you don’t need anymore. Trust us, it will help in the long run!